The time has now come to recruit mentors for the 2018 GWC Summer Research Internship Program. The applications are in and there are many excellent candidates in this year’s pool. We need mentors! Please consider mentoring an intern in the 2018 class.
Submit project information here: http://www.diversity.cals.iastate.edu/george-washington-carver-mentor-form
College Students – 8 week program; program: June 10, 2017 – August 5, 2017
High School students – 6 week program; program: June 24, 2017 – August 5, 2017
- Provide a lab or field experience for students
- Students should work between 35-40 hours a week
- Provide guidance and constructive feedback
- Personally commit to assisting the intern to develop and fulfill the objectives and requirements for the internship
- Help the intern understand his/her progress and guide his/her growth
- Be available to the intern on a regular basis
- Oversees the intern’s development of research paper and poster for the final project
In order to support as many interns as possible and stretch CALS dollars, CALS faculty members are asked to pay the full intern costs (listed below) or at minimum 60% of the salary cost for an intern(s) – if funding is an issue.
College intern cost ~$5,400. It breaks down as follows:
$3,000 – Salary
$1,200 – Room
$700 – Board
$500 - Average transportation/airfare costs
High School intern cost ~$3,300. It breaks down as follows:
$1,750 – Salary
$850 – Room
$700 – Board
High school students are responsible for their own transportation to and from ISU.
*note: If grant funds are being used, the grant will be charged the full allowable costs for the specific grant/funding source to support an intern.
For more information regarding program details, contact Theressa Cooper, assistant dean for diversity at email@example.com.
2018 George Washington Carver Summer Research Internship Program website: http://www.diversity.cals.iastate.edu/george-washington-carver-internship-program