Welcome to the Economics Graduate Program!
You will find information here about getting started at Iowa State.
The Graduate College provides information about Academics, Campus Services, Finance/Tuition, Community Programs/Assistance, and information for International Students.
The Graduate and Professional Student Senate (GPSS) represents the graduate students' perspective on campus issues and serves as a liaison between graduate students and the university administration.
The International Students & Scholars Office (ISSO) provides information and support for international students both prior to your arrival and after arriving on campus. Please make sure to visit their New Student Orientation page to learn about options for temporary housing and transportation from the airport.
Visit Resources for housing to learn about both off-campus housing and on-campus residence options.
See Estimate of Expenses for listings of estimated student expenses for a nine-month academic year.
Things to do upon arrival
- Welcome Meeting (Monday, July 31st) - for students attending Math Camp.
- Orientation Week (Monday, August 14 - Friday August 18) - Required for all new students.
Most of the following will be done at the Welcome Meeting on July 31st and during orientation week August 14th - August 18th.
- Obtain your Student ID card (red ISU card) at 0530 Beardshear.
- Obtain an ISU NetID (email address) online or in 195 Durham.
- Attend departmental meetings as scheduled during math camp and orientation week.
- Ph.D. students take the departmental placement examination as scheduled.
- Sign a release form to have your ID photograph used in the display case.
- Attend an individual advising session as scheduled with your advisor.
- Students on assistantship need to sign up for payroll at the Records Management Office, 3810 Beardshear Hall. You will need 2 forms of ID, bank deposit information, and your I-9.
- Health insurance is provided for students on assistantship. See the Graduate College Health Insurance page for details. You may enroll at the Students & Scholars Health Insurance Program (SSHIP) website.
- Check in with the International Students and Scholars Office. If you are attending Math Camp, the Economics Department will schedule a check-in time for students during your first week on campus. If you are not able to attend this session, check the ISSO website for an alternate check-in time.
- Take the English Placement examination (not necessary if you have a U.S. degree). You must register online for the test before going to the testing place. Bring your test results to your meeting with your academic advisor.
- Sign up for and complete the Oral English Certification Test (OECT).
- Apply for your Social Security Number two weeks after entry to the US. The Social Security Office is located at 2615 University Blvd., Ames, IA.
- Attend ISSO New Student Orientation. More information and a detailed schedule will be available later in the summer.
Contact us at email@example.com, (515) 294-2702