Dermot Hayes, professor, and Chad Hart, associate professor, were interviewed for a Nov. 25th Des Moines Register story "Dozens of Iowa Farmers Get Less Than $25 from Trump Tariff Assistance, Data Show."
"The corn payments are a joke. Someone at USDA made a mistake" in determining the formula for assistance, said Dermot Hayes, an Iowa State University economist. Hayes said some Iowa corn growers won't even apply for assistance given the size of payments. "It costs more to do the paperwork than the check is worth," he said.
"The bulk of the payments should begin flowing soon," Hart said. "Payment depends on having the harvest done," which still isn't complete for some farmers. "These payments will help," he said, especially as farmers struggle to pay bills following the harvest.
Hart was also quoted in the following stories:
- The New York Times Nov. 27
- Chicago Tribune Nov. 27
- The Detroit News Nov. 27
- Omaha World-Herald Nov. 27
- Laredo Morning Times Nov. 28
- CoxCommunications.com Nov. 27
- Colorado Springs Gazette Nov. 27
- Quad-City Times Nov. 27
- Southwest Iowa News Source Nov. 27
- Brownfield Ag News Nov. 29
- Red River Farm Network Nov. 28