For travel expenses incurred on or after January 1, 2020, the default rate will be 28.75 cents/mile, a decrease of .25 cents/mile. This default mileage reimbursement rate is calculated at 50% of the full IRS rate and is applicable for trips of more than 100 miles if the traveler chooses to use a personal vehicle when a vehicle is available for checkout from ISU Transportation Services.
The 2020 full IRS rate is decreasing to 57.5 cents/mile, from the current 2019 rate of 58 cents/mile.
The full IRS rate of 57.5 cents/mile may be claimed when:
- The round trip is less than 100 miles.
- The round trip is 100 miles or more but the traveler is unable to reserve a vehicle from Transportation Services.
- The traveler is permanently based off-campus.
- The traveler is not an ISU student or an ISU employee. This includes travel expenses reimbursed under Professional Service Agreements.
- Round trip travel to/from “designated” airports is 100 miles or more, and the combined airfare and mileage cost is less expensive than airfare and mileage costs from flying out of the Des Moines International Airport. “Designated” airports are the Kansas City International Airport, the Omaha International Airport and the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport.