Monday, June 22, 2020 - 9:00 am to Thursday, June 25, 2020 - 10:00 am
We will meet daily from 9-10 a.m. for a synchronous hands-on workshop (required) followed by a 30-minute guided discussion and Open Labs (individual and group consultations).
- Online Course Essentials (ONCE)
- Fundamental course design tools, processes, and support
- Learning Assessments Techniques (LAT)
- Transparent teaching framework (Transparency in Learning and Teaching)
- Inclusion and accessibility
- Describe the primary dimensions of learner-centered course design.
- Use the tools and course design processes (e.g., ISU Template, worksheets, Quality Matters rubric)
- Align assessments, engagement strategies, and learning objectives that promote college students’ success.
- Implement inclusive pedagogical components into a course (e.g., inclusive syllabus, accessibility, and Universal Design for Learning principles).
- Locate ISU’s teaching and learning support resources.
Who can attend?
- Each offering of the four-day Course Design Institute is open to 20 faculty or staff (with teaching responsibilities) from Iowa State University.
- The Condensed Course Design Clinic is open to anyone interested in teaching and course design at Iowa State University.
- All disciplines are welcome and encouraged to participate in either of the offerings.
- Receive a certificate of completion and recognition of participation shared with their department chair(s).
- Customize your Canvas course using the highly adaptable ISU Template in preparation for Fall 2020.
- Build or assess your course design using the Quality Matters Self-Review tool.
- Connect with peers.
- *Participants who fully engage in a four-day Institute and complete all of the requirements listed below will receive a $500 professional development stipend from the Senior Vice President and Provost. Note: This benefit is only available to those who complete the Institute.