The George Washington Carver Spirit of Innovation and Service Award
Purpose of the Award: To honor undergraduate students showing evidence of traits embodied by Dr. Carver, including creativity, courage, dedication, etc., whose early lives and achievements in their educational development inspire and motivate other young people/students.
- demonstrated determination and perseverance in pursuing their educational and life goals including an awareness of the natural environment
- strong academic performance in a scientific degree program that focuses on teamwork and technology
- active involvement in research and professional ethics
- engagement in arts and humanities (e.g., music, painting, film, theater, creative writing, philosophy, etc.)
- demonstrated service to others for the betterment of diverse communities
- represent the first generation in a family to attend college
- Must be an undergraduate student in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
Process of Selection:
- Submit a letter of recommendation to Theressa Cooper [email@example.com], assistant dean for diversity, by Sept. 4, 2017.
- Applicants will be reviewed by committee
- Applicants will be notified of their selection by Sept. 7. If selected, winner must submit a bio and professional photo by Sept. 11.
The winner of the George Washington Carver Spirit of Innovation and Service Award will receive a $1,000 scholarship.