Academic Quiz Bowl
An undergraduate academic quiz bowl competition is held each year at the annual AAEA meetings. Teams of three students compete in a Jeopardy-style tournament answering questions about economics, finance and agribusiness marketing and management. Students and advisors meet bi-weekly in the fall, and weekly in the spring semester for 2-hour practice sessions.
- In 2014, Iowa State entered the quiz bowl competition at the Southern Agricultural Economics Association meetings for the first time and has attended each year since.
- In 2015, six students competed in the farm management competition at NACTA for the first time.
- In 2016, one of our quiz bowl teams placed 3rd overall in the national event.
AAEA Undergraduate Paper Competition/Decision Support Tool Competition
These opportunities to attend professional meetings give students with exceptional capabilities a chance to observe professional economics, interact with peers from other institutions and see academic opportunities beyond classroom.
- In 2014, an Iowa State student placed 3rd in the undergraduate paper competition.
- In 2015, two students were selected to present papers at the meetings and one placed first in the competition. Two additional students were selected to compete in the inaugural decision tool competition, and won 2nd and 3rd place in this event.
- In 2016, students won 1st, 2nd and 3rd place in this competition.
Community Bank Case Study Competition
The Community Bank Case Study Competition is an annual competition sponsored by the Conference of State Bank Supervisors that provides undergraduate students the opportunity to explore the field of banking by partnering students with local banks to conduct original case studies on a specific topic.
- In 2017, Iowa State's team was awarded 2nd place in the competition Thirty-three teams from universities across the country competed. Each student team was asked to develop an original case study, including a paper and video, that evaluates and provides recommendations for a bank's leadership succession plan.
International Collegiate Business Strategy Competition
The International Collegiate Business Strategy Competition is a competitive event that provides students with a learning experience in which they, in direct competition with other college teams, run a simulated company and have the opportunity to network with business executives and students from around the world. Teams compete for a chance to win scholarship money, an opportunity to present their case at the CSBS-Federal Reserve Community Banking Research and Policy Conference, and an opportunity to have their work published.
- In 2017, Iowa State's team of five economics, ag bus, and business economics students won 2nd place in their group on written reports at the competition in Anaheim, California.