Contact InformationIowa State University
478E Heady Hall
Ames, IA 50011
- PhD, Pennsylvania State, 1981
- MS, University of Nebraska, 1977
- BS, University of Nebraska, 1975
Farm management, production economics, natural resources economics, integrated pest management, sustainable agriculture, beginning farmers.
- Duffy, Michael; Johanns, Ann M., Farmland Ownership and Tenure in Iowa, 2012, , January 2014
- Duffy, Michael, Estimated Costs of Crop Production in Iowa, 2014, , December 2013
- Duffy, Michael, 2013 Iowa Land Value Survey, Overview, , December 2013
- Duffy, Michael; Edwards, William; Johanns, Ann M., Survey of Leasing Practices, 2012, , October 2013
Awards and Honors
- 2014 Distinguished Service to Iowa Agriculture, IA Chapter, Am. Society of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers
- 2013 Dean's Citation for Extraordinary Contributions, Iowa State University College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- 2013 Distinguished Service to Agriculture, American Agricultural Editors Association
- 2013 Outstanding Contributions to Agriculture, Iowa Farm Business Association
- 2012 Carl F. Hertz, Distinguished Service to Agriculture, American Society of Farm Managers and Rural Appraisers
- 2004 College of Agriculture Outstanding Achievement in Extension
- 1996 Sustainable Agriculture Achievement Award, Practical Farmers of Iowa
- 1984 Administrator's Special Merit Award of Outstanding Research, USDA
ISU Economics Working Papers Series
- Duffy, Michael, Value of Soil Erosion to the Land Owner, WP #12004, March 2012
- Duffy, Michael, Return to Iowa Farmland Versus S&P 500, WP #12003, March 2012
- Duffy, Michael, Comparing the Stock Market and Iowa Land Values: A Question of Timing, WP #05022, May 2005 Revised on May 2007
- Stinn, Matthew; Duffy, Michael, What is the Precision of Land Survey Values?, Choices Vol. 27 no. 3 (2012): 1-5.
- Duffy, Michael, Economies of Size in Production Agriculture, Journal of Hunger & Environmental Nutrition Vol. 4 no. 3&4 (July 2009): 375-392.
- Francis, C.; Elmore, R.; Ikerd, J.; Duffy, Michael, Greening of Agriculture: Is It All a Greenwash of the Globalized Economy?, Journal of Crop Improvement Vol. 19 no. 1/2 (2007)
- Karlen, D. L.; Hurley, E.; Andrews, S; Cambardella, C.; Meek, M.; Duffy, Michael; Mallarenio, A., Crop Rotation Effects on Soil Quality at Three Northern Corn/Soybean Locations, Agronomy Journal Vol. 98 no. 3 (May/June 2006): 484-495.
- Duffy, Michael; Johanns, Ann M., Estimated Returns to Iowa Farmland, Journal of the ASFMRA Vol. 68 no. 1 (July 2005): 102-109.
- Tegtmeier, Erin M; Duffy, Michael, External Costs of Agricultural Production in the United States, International Journal of Agricultural Sustainability Vol. 2 no. 1 (2004): 1-20.
- Delate, K. M.; Duffy, Michael; Chase, Craig A.; Holste, A.; Friedrich, H.; Wantate, N, An Economic Comparison of Organic and Conventional Grain Crops in a Long-Term Agroecological Research (Ltar) Site in Iowa, Journal of Alternative Agriculture Vol. 18 no. 2 (2003)
- Lillywhite, Jay M; Duffy, Michael, A New Perspective on an Old Issue: Multifamily Farms and America's Farm Structure, Journal of Alternative Agriculture Vol. 16 no. 4 (2001)
- Baumel, C. Phillip; Wisner, Robert N.; Duffy, Michael, Brazilian Soybeans ﾖ Can Iowa Farmers Compete?, Ag Decision Maker Vol. 5 no. 2 (December 2000)
- Shipping, Liu; Duffy, Michael, Tillage Systems and Profitability: An Economic Analysis of the Iowa Max Program, Journal of Production Agriculture Vol. 9 no. 4 (October/December 1996)
- Karlen, D. L.; Duffy, Michael; Colvin, T. S., Nutrient, Labor, Energy and Economic Evaluations of Two Farming Systems in Iowa, Journal of Production Agriculture Vol. 8 (October/December 1995)
- Gleason, Mark L.; Ali, M. K.; Domoto, Paul A.; Lewis, D. R.; Duffy, Michael, Comparing Integrated Pest Management and Protectant Strategies for Control of Apple Scab and Codling Moth in an Iowa Apple Orchard, HortScience Vol. 4 no. 2 (April/May 1994)
- Duffy, Michael, Economics of Soil Specific Crop Management, Soil Specific Crop Management (1993): 245-253.
- Duffy, Michael; Huang, W.; Uri, N. D., The Effects of Alternative Policy Options Designed to Reduce Nitrogen Fertilizer Use, Environmental International Vol. 18 (1992): 29-41.
- Chase, Craig A.; Duffy, Michael, An Economic Comparison of Conventional and Reduced Chemical Farming Systems in Iowa, American Journal of Alternative Agriculture Vol. 6 no. 4 (1991): 168-173.
- Chase, Craig A.; Duffy, Michael; Lotz, William, Economic Analysis of Varying Swine Manure Application Rates on Continuous Corn, Journal of Soil and Water Conservation Vol. 46 no. 6 (1991): 460-464.
- Chase, Craig A.; Duffy, Michael; Webb, John; Voss, Regis, An Economic View of Maintaining High Phosphorous and Potassium Soil Test Levels, American Journal of Alternative Agriculture Vol. 6 no. 2 (1991): 83-86.
- Chase, Craig A.; Duffy, Michael, Economic Analysis of the Nashua Tillage Study: 1979-1987, Journal of Production Agriculture Vol. 4 no. 1 (First Quarter 1991): 91-98.
- Duffy, Michael, Economic Considerations in Low Input Sustainable Agriculture, Journal of Agricultural Lending Vol. 3 no. 3 (Winter 1990): 34-43.
- Lasley, Paul M.; Duffy, Michael; Kettner, K.; Chase, Craig A., Affecting Farmers' Use of Practices to Reduce Commercial Fertilizers and Pesticides, Journal of Soil and Water Conservation Vol. 45 no. 1 (January/February 1990): 132-136.
- Duffy, Michael, Iowa Land Values, Realtors Land Institute Vol. XXXX no. 7 (July/August 1988)
- Duffy, Michael; Johnson, Stanley R., Agriculture and Groundwater Pollution in Iowa, EPA Journal Vol. 14 no. 3 (April 1988): 19-21.
- Duffy, Michael, Agricultural Credit Crisis, Credit World Vol. 73 no. 5 (May/June 1985): 16-20.
- Kuchler, Fred; Duffy, Michael; Shrum, R. D.; Dowler, W. M., Potential Economic Consequences of the Entry of an Exotic Fungal Pest: The Case of Soybean Rust, Phytopathology Vol. 74 (September 1984): 916-920.
- Duffy, Michael, The Economics of Current Mushroom Pest Management Practices, Journal of Northeastern Agricultural Economics Council Vol. XII no. 1 (Spring 1983): 21-26.