Jan. 18th marked the grand opening of a new residence hall. Geoffroy Hall is named for President Emeritus Gregory L. Geoffroy, who led the university from 2001-2012. The university's 14th president had tremendous impact on the expansion of the university, including a dozen major building projects, record enrollment and sponsored funding levels at the time, and a capital campaign that raised more than $800 million and doubled endowed faculty positions. Geoffroy also launched a grassroots fundraising effort to save and renovate Morrill Hall.
One of the fourteen "houses" in the new seven-story building was named for Elizabeth E. Hoyt (1893-1980). She received a B.A. from Boston University and an M.A. and Ph.D. in economics from Harvard University. Hoyt joined the ISU economics faculty in 1925 and was a member of the faculty for 50 years. Her teaching was a pioneering effort in the new field of consumer economics and her work laid the groundwork for the Consumer Price Index used today to gauge inflation and cost of living.
The last traditional residence hall built at Iowa State University was Martin Hall in 2003. Since then, enrollment has grown by the thousands.