For travel expenses incurred on or after January 1, 2017, the default rate will be 26.75 cents/mile, a decrease from 27 cents/mile. The default mileage reimbursement rate is calculated at 50% of the full IRS rate and is applicable for trips of more than 100 miles if the traveler chooses to use a personal vehicle when a vehicle is available from Transportation Services.
The 2017 full IRS rate is decreasing to 53.5 cents/mile, from the current 2016 rate of 54 cents/mile.
The full IRS rate of 53.5 cents/mile may be claimed when:
- The round trip is less than 100 miles.
- The round trip is 100 miles or more but the traveler is unable to reserve a vehicle from Transportation Services.
- The traveler is permanently based off-campus.
- The traveler is not an ISU student or an ISU employee. This includes travel expenses reimbursed under Professional Service Agreements.
- Round trip travel to/from designated airports is 100 miles or more and the combined airfare and mileage cost is less expensive than airfare and mileage the Des Moines International Airport. Designated airports are the Kansas City International Airport, the Omaha International Airport and the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport.
Questions regarding this reimbursement rate change may be directed to Bill Cahill, 294-5124, or David Baker, 294-1940, in the Accounting Office.