RFP for Keck Foundation Preproposals
Concept Papers Should Address all of the Following: (no more than three pages)
Summary of Project
- Describe the potential impact of reaching these goals
- Describe the distinct aspects of this project and its significance
- What other groups are doing similar work and how is this project different?
- estimated total cost of this project
- amount desired from the W.M. Keck Foundation and how the award would be applied
- institutional or other support
- State where you have attempted to get federal (or other major) funding. Indicate where you applied and why (or why you think) you were not funded, ie: proof of principal needed, too risky, etc.
- Keck is interested in research teams that have a history of collaboration. Evidence of this collaboration (i.e., publications, etc) is expected in order to be successful.
Note: The Keck Foundation expects a description of cost sharing at the time of Phase I application. Concepts must indicate tentative plans for institutional or other support.
Note: Applicants are asked to consider carefully possible sources of cost-sharing. Resources from the VPR/ED Office are very limited. Approval to prepare a Phase I proposal does not in itself assure that funds can or will be provided by the VPR/ED office.
Additional points to consider when preparing your concept:
- Maximum funding request is $1 million and Keck will not be the sole funder.
- Keck does not fund building/renovation projects; equipment may be considered as part of the research plan.
- Proposed concepts must demonstrate this is a ‘leap’ in science and discovery, not an incremental step.
- Phase I Applications (or preproposals) will be due to the WM Keck Foundation no later than November 1, 2012.
- Concepts submitted at this time will be considered for funding in June 2013.
Please visit http://www.wmkeck.org/grant-programs/grant-programs.html for additional information about the Science and Engineering and Medical Research programs. If you have further questions, please contact Donna Van Pelt at DVanpelt@foundation.iastate.edu or 4-1280 or Kent Studer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 4-0635.